Let’s play a game of Ribbon Drive, a highly collaborative storytelling RPG. Three to five players will use music mixes they curate and share with the group to create a story about a road trip. The story will be collaboratively titled once it is complete or near complete.
In Ribbon drive 3-5 players curate mixes of 30-70 minutes, descriptively named, and with songs threaded together via a common theme. There are no rules for the mixes except that: 30-70 minutes, title, theme. You want something where lyrics can be heard/understood and avoid hateful speech. Mixes are secret until gameplay begins. This game will require either Spotify or YouTube – we’ll decide as a team.
This game is highly collaborative and will require off Storium communication. I prefer slack (free) but Google hangouts will also work.
The first step, before character creation, is to get together as a group to determine a few story elements and build our characters. As we play I will send a message to all players with what the next step is. This is the first game but I hope to make a series of these for people who enjoy or want to try it out.
Once we go through scene/character building characters will be placed into the game with cards that fit.
A few things about the game:
- Players should share their three preferences for times to chat. Please use GMT in case we have players from multiple places – this will help me keep track. Times in common will be the final choices. Much of the game will be played independently but there will be times when chatting is necessary.
- Players should be able to deal with a slow but good burn :) if we are all feeling it I’m open to a faster pace but wanted to make this as unintimidating as possible the first time.
- Narration will jump around and not rotate through the list in order (RD has ruled for how narration is handed around)
- There is a focus on writing – moves may be short, long, or in between but should be well written and proofed.
- 3rd person limited.
About your mix tape:
- 30-70 minutes of songs connected through a common theme and descriptively named. For example, someone could have a mix named “The Rainbow Connection” where songs are about relationships and use colors in them.
- You can include instrumental pieces but they should be limited. The first two songs must not be instrumental.
- Create a doc or have a link to the lyrics of the first two songs. If we use YouTube a lyric video works, too!
- Guard your playlist closely - revealing the songs can have a negative effect on the game.
Please feel free to ask questions!
Nancy Koziol (NancyKz)
Scenes played: 3
License: Community License