A thermonuclear apocalypse wiped out almost all life on Earth. The only known survivors of the human race live in an underground colony which they call Argatha. Resources are so scare that all crimes, no matter how small, are punishable by death, unless the perpetrator is under 21 years of age. 300 years after the devastating thermonuclear apocalypse, as a measure to save resources and investigate whether Earth is habitable, a pod with 50 juvenile detainees is sent to the surface.
More About Argatha
The underground colony extends for 13 miles and is composed of 3 levels:
- Keeper Level - where the detention center, and storage are
- Feeder Level - where most citizens live and work at. There’s a solar lamp, a vertical produce greenhouse that uses hydro farming methods, a livestock field with genetically modified cattle, rabbits and poultry, a medical center, recorder hall, and the city (where people live in trailer-sized containers).
- Alpha Level - where the government and science research are located. Energy generation and air and water recycling also happens in this level.
Examples of technological advancements:
- Smarteye: contact lenses that allow people to access virtual realities. Smarteyes were created in attempt to reduce the depression rates in Argatha associated with living in an enclosed space.
- Wi-com: wireless communicator & tracking device implanted behind a person’s ear after they are born. Interpersonal communication feature is disabled in convicts.
- Medical patches: adhesive-like patches with tinny needles that send meds directly into a person’s system.
- Biometric scanners: security system that controls people’s access to different levels and rooms. Biometric scanners are also embedded into touch-screen devices in order to control information access.
this world and story was inspired by Across the Universe by Beth Revis, Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, The 100 by Kass Morgan, and Lord of The Flies by William Golding
Hosted and narrated by:
Carolina Lopes (carolbaruzzi)
Scenes played: 3
License: Community License