Some people say the universe runs on a precise clock – each millennium, century, hour, second, millisecond ticking out in myriad forms: the rotation of planets, the rise and fall of waves, the blink of an eye, or in a series of breaths.
They say that time stops for no man. But for a few individuals it pauses, for the length of a dream.
There are some rare individuals who have mastered the art of dream walking. Not much is known about these individuals, or their powers, and how they enter and move about the dream paths. They are both revered and reviled. Persecuted, yet coveted. They are called Sand Walkers.
You are one of them.
You have always felt somewhat estranged from your friends and family, leading a second life that they will never be able to fully understand. But for the most part, you’ve rejoiced in your ability and felt like you had a place in the city of Antumbra.
That may all be changing, though. Two days ago, the king of Faloria was reported dead, killed in his sleep with no sign of wounds or poison. A day later, it was announced that a Sand Walker was the murderer. Rumors are spreading of new legislature outlawing dream walking. There have been public cries for registries, imprisonment, exile, or – from extremist groups – calls for witch-hunts and retribution.
Last night, while walking the dream paths, you were surprised to see a small mouse scurry in front of you, holding a glowing envelope. Upon opening it, you saw the following message:
“If you have found this, you are in terrible danger. We all are. Find me, and I’ll tell you what I know. Tomorrow night. Follow the mouse.”
This story takes place in a world that can best be described as 1900s-inspired colonial urban fantasy. This world is like our own, but with magic. In addition to Sand Walkers, members of the church have been known to perform miraculous feats. Other than that, there’s a lot of superstitious beliefs, but no one really knows how magic works and rarely does anyone see anything magical, especially not if it’s different than Sand Walking. This world has a lower population density, and more distance between major city centers. It has bicycles, envelopes, telegraph, and other era-appropriate tech – phones have only just been invented, and are only available to the very wealthy.
I’m looking for three to four characters to help explore this world with me. Players should be comfy writing in 3rd person, past tense POV. I’m looking for characters that have a sense of depth and personality.
If you’re interested, submit your character description, along with the following info in notes to the narrator. Unless there’s a reason for the info below to be publicly known, don’t include it in your character bio. Other players will find out about this info when and if they encounter it in the story.
Feel free to get creative when making a character. Custom Player cards are welcome and encouraged. :)
In your notes to me, include:
1. Sand Walkers tend to keep their abilities secret, although some spokespeople or famous figures are more public with their powers. Who, if anyone, knows about your character’s rare ability?
2. Sand Walkers can change their appearance when they travel the paths of dreams. Most have a habitual form, and it takes effort to create and maintain a form that you’re not accustomed to. What does your character look like when they are dream walking? Do they look like themselves, or is their avatar different?
3. Sand Walkers find it easier to reach the dream paths if they have a routine around falling asleep. What does your character do before sleeping? Do they have a charm or stuffed animal? A prayer or incantation? A getting-ready-for-bed routine? A special chemise, robe, or sleeping gown?
4. Most Sand Walkers find out their powers when they accidentally stumble into someone else’s dreams. Once they’ve discovered their powers, there’s no formal training. They either are self taught or search out a mentor. Some Sand Walkers make their power a profession, but mostly they are a fragmented bunch. Is your character isolated, or do they have a mentor or some other Sand Walker friends?
5. The church in this world is similar to the Catholic church, but is known as The Church of Veran (Aka. Veranism) Is your character religious? What is their opinion of the church?
6. What are your character’s three biggest fears?
7. What makes your character feel relaxed or happy?
Hosted and narrated by:
Scenes played: 9
License: Community License